Careful where you step.

Sometimes you end up right in the thick of it.

I had a good time with this one, would like some more detail, but time does grow short.




Drawing larger scenes can be tough. I, for one, am quite impatient with my skills. I start to draw and within minutes I want to be finished. It's a problem I've been working on for a long time (no pun intended if there was one). It's called patience.

Patience can be tough in any situation. With credit to Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part." of almost anything. You order pizza. Is it here yet? You put a cake in the oven. Is it done yet? You load up the family truckster for a two week vacation. Are we there yet? It's hard.

Patience is something I do not have a lot of in certain situations. I believe it is, as they say, a virtue. I have met people with what I believe is infinite patience and I am always impressed. Like bus drivers. I see Chicago Transit Authority bus drivers everyday being cutoff, having people jerk to a stop in front of them, turning in front of them, people not knowing how to pay for a fare, overcrowding, and they just seem to take it all in stride. Granted at times one or two will pop off, but it is rare and I've been riding these buses for years. Infinite patience. It's a beautiful thing to see.

On the flip side there are people who work so fast you don't need any patience at all. I once worked with an art director who did illustration work on the side. He was so fast at drawing we used to joke that as you told him your ideas for a storyboard he would finish the frames just as you finished your sentences. It was a pleasure to watch him work.

I'm not really sure where I'm headed with this one, but I did want to get the word patience out into the atmosphere. I'm hoping it will help me. I have a painting in the next room on a canvas that needs to be finished. I'm about halfway there, but have a lot left to do so I will need speed and patience in a big tall glass for the next couple of weeks.

That said I leave you with this thought:
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."-Leo Tolstoy

Something I try to remember every day.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts