100 Barbarians in 100 days

Hello all and welcome.

I have decided to launch myself into the 21st century (better late than never). To facilitate this I purchased a Crackberry and am dipping a toe into the blogosphere (as my friend Tim Letscher recommended I do about a year ago).

I know the former was a big mistake because I now feel the need to check my email every 3 seconds. The latter will be for you to decide. I hope that I can be inventive and intelligent enough to keep you coming back for my ramblings, musings, artwork and maybe even some useful information.

What will I be writing about? I am not quite sure, but as most of my friends know, I hold a few opinions and have never been at a loss for words. I will also be including recent artwork, ads and general info about the goings on in my life that can't be done through Facebook or even the old fashioned phone call. Maybe I'll run a contest or two. Who knows? I'm just going to start off and see where it takes me.

Which leads me to, "100 Barbarians in 100 days". This is a riff on something I've seen other designers and artists do. Every day I will post a newly created image of a barbarian. Pencilled, inked, painted or just a doodle from my sketchbook. We'll see how hard it gets to be after the first week.
























This type of challenge helps to keep me drawing every day. I love to draw and sketch, but in the computer age it's easy to let those skills fall by the wayside. It's also all kinds of fun.

Why 100 barbarians? Well, clothing is very hard to draw and I find drawing images of people cutting off other peoples heads to be cathartic. I used to do things like this in meetings until one day when an account person looked over my shoulder and became visibly disturbed. My wife suggested zombies, but I always have trouble with dangling flesh. Maybe one or two will make into the next hundred days. A barbarian has to fight something.

The images won't have captions unless I can think of something funny to go with them, and if anyone has suggestions for captions I would love to hear them. It could be like the contest in the back of the New Yorker, only with weaponry and bloodletting.

Also, if anyone wants to play along with me just email an image and I'll post it here with mine. We'll create a virtual sketchbook together.

That's all for now. I have to get back to creating some ads, t-shirts and buttons for my favorite client Lorna's Laces.

Cheers!

Comments

  1. "Hi, I'm a Mac." "And I'm a OH GOD NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOI–" I guess that version never made the cut.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts