Hopefully a picture?

Trying to post tonight, but the image doesn't seem to want to load.

It is a really lame picture of a guy standing with an ax. My guess is that the computer has decided it wants me to work harder on the images. Strange.

Anyways, I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo today with my wife. It's not a great zoo and I was struck by how many single animals there were. I would think if I was locked in a cage 24/7 that having a buddy with me would, at the very least, take the edge off. I'm heading back one day this week to do some sketches and if I like them I will post them along with the barbarians.

I used to love the zoo and I guess I still do. Seeing those animals up close that you would never get to see in the wild (or maybe you really wouldn't want to see a lion up close in the wild) is a little breathtaking. The screaming children I could do without, but we had a good time. It really felt like summer without being miserable.

Seeing all those people out enjoying the day made me think, for a moment, that all is right in the world when obviously it is not. That's a cruel trick our minds play on us, giving us the false impression that everything is alright. I guess it takes some of the pressure off our brains to imagine that there really aren't two wars going on, the economy isn't still in the crapper and that universal healthcare may soon be a reality for all of us. I also have the recurring waking dream of winning the lottery almost every day.

Dreams are our very own little hiding places. They allow us to become whatever we wish, they set us free for the briefest of moments to explore all the possibilities that lay just beyond our reach. They, in my opinion, are a good thing. Not that you want to live in a dreamworld all the time, but that our imaginations can give us just a little vacation from our everyday lives.

But then again, I've always been a dreamer.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts