Sunday night. Whew, what a fun weekend. Hung out with friends, hit a few golf balls, played D&D and threw together another blog entry.



In looking at this image after i was done all I could think was, "What would I think if I came across a skull shaped mountain? Would I go closer? Would I run screaming like a village idiot? Would I stand there transfixed until someone else made the decision for me?"

I like to think that I would venture inside. That I would take the risk because the reward might be greater than anything I could imagine. Although, if I saw one bat or heard a growl the village idiot option would definitely move in to first place.

We all do it. No, not discovering skull shaped mountains, but venturing into the unknown. It may be as simple as trying a new food or as complex as traveling halfway around the world to spend time a foreign country, but they can still be huge discoveries for each of us.

"Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the exciting, sometimes scary, but almost always exhilarating, unknown.

You see it. You decide to go towards it, you hesitate, you try and come up with a reason not to continue, then, after a moment you plunge in headfirst and hold on to the hope that you'll make it out the other side a better person or at the very least intact.

How about you? What have you discovered? Recently or not, do you remember a time when you launched yourself into the unknown? Was it fun? Was it disappointing? Were you scared? Think about that and if you want to post a comment. I would love to hear your story and I am sure you, at the very least, will enjoy remembering it.

Whew, I can't wait to see what I discover tomorrow.

Cheers.

Comments

  1. I recently discovered that spinach isn't half bad. For me, that's a big leap into the unknown. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I've got a 17-day-old infant at home. I see that skull face every day and I'm not sure where the other side is. Where did all this poop come from? What kind of cave is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished a book from a friend, "The Tao of Pooh," and loved this story:
    "In 1927, a thirty-two-year-old man stood on the edge of the lake in Chicago's Lincoln Park, planning to drop beneath the dark waters and drown. His daughter had died, his company had gone bankrupt, his reputation had been ruined, and he was becoming an alcoholic. Looking into the lake, he asked himself what one small man in his position could possibly do. Then an answer came to him: he was now free to take risks, to initite action on his own, and, by doing so, to help other people. He returned home and committed himself to the work that he believed the universe wanted him to do, instead of what he had been taught to do. Eventually his life changed completely and without his believing and taking a chance, his contributions to humanity would never have been made, and no one would have come to respect the name of Buckminster Fuller."

    Change, or exploring the unknown skull-shaped mountain can be scary, but when you have nothing to lose, you're free to explore life, and possibly even your true calling or full potential.

    Safe is the merry-go-round. I prefer rollercoasters (and skull-shaped mountains).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts