Before battle

Meditating before you go into battle. Clearing your head. A smart thing to do.




Every day when I sit down to work (okay, to look for work or to paint or draw) the first thing I usually do is clean the desk. This little bit of meditation, as I think about what I hope to accomplish during the day, is quite calming for me. I believe it helps me focus. It could also just be procrastination, but why linger on the negative?

I was talking to some friends the other day and they all seem to have a "ritual" of some sort before starting their day. Whether it's reading the paper, finishing that cup of coffee, or like me, cleaning your work area.

Of course, by the time I am three minutes into doing whatever it is I am starting to do, the desk and sometimes the entire office, becomes a complete shambles (there's an underused word "shambles"). Needless to say I am not a neat freak. I tend to get into a groove and keeping things neat and tidy just doesn't seem to fit into that groove.

Speaking of grooves, does anyone buy albums anymore? There is a store at the end of my block that has sold records for over twenty years. Yes, they have CD's, but they are still selling records. How cool is that? I wouldn't even know where to go to purchase a turntable.

I was listening to my Ipod tonight while I cooked chili for a party we are having this weekend. My Ipod is filled with songs from the 70's and 80's. This is the music that I enjoy, probably because I grew up in that era. I'm sure my college professor friends would say there is an proven link between the music and the carefree days of my long lost youth that I am constantly trying to reconnect with. Who knows, I just know that when "Cover of the Rolling Stone" by Dr. Hook plays I can't help but think of summertime in the city growing up. And when "That's the way I've always heard it should be" by Carly Simon comes on I get the distinct feeling that it is Sunday night and I have not completed my homework. Exciting and creepy at the same time.

I am supposed to go apple picking on Saturday...

(Does this post feel like the fractured ramblings of a confused mind? That's what it says at the top of the page so remember you asked for it.)

...but not a lot of people are going with me. A lot of people are coming over in the evening for cocktails, food and great conversation, but the shine, as they say, has worn off the apple of pretending to do migrant work.

I remember years ago we had a huge group that went (something like twenty people) and spent the day trudging through mud just to pick apples we could have gotten at a corner store. It was a fun time. I'm not complaining, I'm just remembering.

If I get one more email about how ED is ruining my life I may actually have to check into it. That, and I'm pretty close to to finding out how much money my friends in Nigeria are going to give me to help them release millions in Swiss bank account transfers! Yay!

Does anyone really buy this stuff? SPAM has been around for years, don't you think the human animal is smart enough to adapt? People, please, if it seems too good to be true it is! Look at Wall Street!

No, no, no, no economy talk today (struggle, struggle, struggle....gain control).

Did you ever notice the constant barrage of laundry that permeates your life. Even when you think you're done after you've just ironed 20 shirts you realize that you're wearing one and the cycle will never, I repeat never ever, be over. I don't think nudists have this problem.

Ah, anywho, got to call it a night, first of all because it is, and B because I have to finish a painting tomorrow, make a ton of phone calls and set up some meetings for next week. Which means I have to be at my desk bright and early to clean up the mess that I just finished making this evening.

And so the world turns.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts