Man vs. Wild

Hiding behind a tree with a couple of arrows in you. I bet Bear Grylls never had to deal with this.




Speaking of which, I love that show. Not that I am a hunter/camper/fisher guy, but man, you gotta give the guy on that show (and Les on Survivorman) credit. Those kinds of guys are tough. Me, I see a spider and squeal like a little girl. These guys would turn it into a meal.

I've never really liked the woods. I've camped in my life, but there's something about being out in nature that seems wrong. I'm an urban dweller by nature and the closest I like to get to roughing it is a Holiday Inn. I will admit to watching those shows and trying to remember everything I can though. You never know when your plane will go down leaving you stranded a hundred miles or more from civilization.

Survival is a funny thing. We watch people do crazy things on television, putting themselves in harms way on purpose, but did you ever think about how vulnerable you are on a day to day basis? People get injured and killed everyday just going about their mundane lives. I almost want to see a show where Bear Grylls or Les Stroud has to sit through an entire day of meetings. Traverse Michigan Avenue while dodging tourists and bike messengers. Catching a bus. Dealing with the idiots at the grocery store! All of them trying to kill them, not as fast as a king cobra or a polar bear, but just as sure.

I didn't quite finish tonight's sketch. I started to ink the barbarian himself, but then couldn't work out the background. I also did it on sketch paper instead of board or two-ply which turned out to be funny as ink went everywhere.

Side note: Prismacolor markers suck. I may have to go out and get a Rapidograph. I am using a crowquill pen and I love it, but I am having trouble building up the patience to keep dipping it in ink. I have always been a marker guy.

Got a lot of painting to do tomorrow and more practicing with ink and just to warn you I plan on reading a paper and watching the news tomorrow so the weekend posts may get political or at least funnier.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts