The gladiators...ooh look birds!

I had composed 90% of this post this morning in the shower. Now that it is late at night I've completely forgotten whatever it was that struck me as so insightful this morning. Next time I think, okay I hope, I'll write it down. I always forget that you can write to this thing and just save it to edit later. It's not a Facebook post.




My memory seems to be taking a beating lately. I forget the simplest things and am distracted by almost everything that comes into my view. I leave the house knowing I am headed to the store, tell myself to make sure I grab some money and then promptly run down three flights of stairs before remembering that I needed some money. It's frustrating. It's not like I'm spending my time coming up with a cure for cancer, but my mind seems to be getting more and more muddled.

As my mother used to say, "You'd lose your head if it wasn't attached." When I was young I thought she was out of her mind, but lately I'm pretty sure I would misplace the damned thing, even with it's huge shiny veneer.

I always think to myself, "Someday I'll be smarter." Then I see our president (I no longer say "new", because after 6 months you legally have to stop saying "new") on Letterman sounding like he knows what he's doing and he's only 3 years older than me. I can't find my car keys and he can run a country. It irks me.

I used to think I was a pretty smart guy. These days I'm not so sure. After you search for a job long enough, even though the economy is in the crapper, you begin to doubt yourself. It's a hard thing to come back from. You begin to wonder whether or not you had the skills to do your job correctly in the first place. Then, you begin to wonder if there is another job out there you might be qualified for. Then you start to think about starting or buying a business.

My father was out of work for a few years in his fifties and he and my mother went out finally and bought a business. He figured if no one would give him a job he'd have to make one on his own. I'm starting to think that way.

But the problem keeps coming back to my memory. If I'm not smart enough to remember where I left my keys how can I be smart enough to run a business? Once more, it irks.

I don't want this post to sound like a big pity party. It's not. I do wonder though how you pick a new business or career to go into and know that it's the right decision.

Last year I almost bought a silk screen printing company. The deal fell through because they couldn't get their financials together to our satisfaction and at first I was a little disappointed. A few weeks ago my wife and I went to an art fair here in Chicago called the "Renegade Art Fair" and there were more silk screen printers there than I've ever seen in my life. The competition was fierce. I am so relieved I didn't buy that company now because I don't think it would have survived.

What are you gonna do? You move on with your life, look on the bright side, charge back up that hill and remember that grit and determination does...something, but I'm having trouble remembering.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts