Dangerous Swim

Be careful when you get in the pool. Not everyone wants to play.




I have got to start drawing earlier (or faster). These late posts are a little tough. It's not that I can't think of things to write. I just have a hard time keeping my eyes open.

Remember when we were young? Okay, remember when I was young? I would stay up all night working on projects, come home, get a few hours sleep and get right back to it. Yeah, and hangovers had a lot less impact. As my mother-in-law says, "Getting old ain't for sissies."

I saw a post today that said Texans are talking about seceding again. Hopefully it's just a couple of nutjobs out stirring up the locals. Not that I care. The last time I was in Texas I got food poisoning and was sick as dog, so I have no feelings one way or the other what happens there. What bothered me though was one guy saying he "hated", not disliked, disagreed with, was upset with, but "hated" the United States of America. That doesn't sit well with me.

Hate is a strong word and should be reserved for talking about bad drivers and talk radio hosts.

This country has been pretty great over the years. Yes, we have also been sh**ty to certain countries and peoples, but what country hasn't? Countries are run by human beings and you know how I feel about that bunch of idiots. Give a man a brain and the first thing he'll try to do is figure out is how to screw somebody over. Cain, have you seen your brother?

Anyway, enough about politics let's talk about design. Or something like it.

I went to a client today. It was a good meeting (as we say), but I gotta tell you I could have saved myself a whole bunch of time doing the layouts for this one.

The client is an old friend and I love him dearly, but he is the perfect "DIY Client". You know these guys. The ones where you sit there and think, "Well, why don't you just do this yourself so I can go draw barbarians." or something along those lines. Well, he doesn't know InDesign and Photoshop so he needs the extra hands.

I don't blame him. I blame myself. Even as I created the pieces I was going to show him I thought, "Why didn't you just have him draw a layout for you? You know that's the way this is going to go." And it did. He always likes my work, but he has a certain way he wants his layouts to look and I need to remember that. It will save me time next time if I can remember to do it that way.

I've had a lot of clients like that over the years. They tell you that they want your best, your expertise, your whatever-it-is you happened to have convinced them you have, and ultimately you're sitting in a meeting going over way too many layouts that aren't making them happy and you say, "If you have something in mind why don't we just lay it out right now." You pull out a pencil and sketch it up like some kind of police sketch artist and everyone gets to go home early.

Ah, well, if I start following my own advice maybe I will be able to start getting these posts done earlier.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts