Barbarian number 35 and the days are flying. Bad news about Mr. I'm In Front, but what are you going to do this is a tough crowd.





So what shall we talk about tonight? Tough crowds? Being stabbed in the back? Gladiator sandals? How about healthcare? No, no, no let's not go there.

How about the interesting phenomenon of "It's not my job."

I was in the parking lots of Jewel (a local grocery store) and Costco in the last week and what is it with returning your cart to one of the many "cart corrals" or even, God forbid, back to where you found it? I have seen so many carts in Costco's parking lot that you wouldn't think there would be room for cars. It's as if people just believe that, "Well, Costco has employees it's their job to put these back." I find that not only rude and self-centered, but also costly. How do you think that guy gets paid? Not from the goodness of Costco's heart, his salary is folded back into the prices.

I have to say I am seeing more and more of this attitude all over town. People littering, leaving Starbuck's cups on top of mailboxes when there is a garbage can right next to the box. Argo Tea cups strewn about the neighborhood like so many leaves. Ugh, it's killing me. Are people so unaware of the world that surrounds them and just so lacking in manners that this behavior has become acceptable?

It just cheeses me off because I would like to know where people learn this from. It's not just kids littering and leaving shopping carts everywhere. I've seen men way older than me leave a Costco cart in the parking space next to them. and let me tell you the reaction I get when I ask them why they do it, "Well, somebody else will handle it." Arrrgh!

This sense of entitlement is enough to make me vote for assisted suicide laws so I can go buy a gun and start assisting.

I mean, is it just me? Am I the one missing the boat on this? Should I just leave my garbage wherever it suits me and leave grocery carts wherever I can? Is every minute of my day so precious to me that taking the time to put things back where I found them is not worth it?

Now I know no one that reads this silly little blog actually does any of these things. I know you're all discriminating, well-mannered types who care about the planet and your neighbors, but what can we do about all the other jagoffs out there can't get with our program?

Who knows, certainly not me, but enough kvetching. It's time to go to bed and dream of a world where things are in order and people are smarter. Tomorrow I have to go to Sears and, oh God, no.....

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts