Practice makes what?

Riddle: If you take what some doctors would describe as a pain killer and the pain does not go away can you still hear me screaming in the forest? Answer: Yes.



Put some ink to paper tonight. Tried to keep it loose and I am quite happy with the results.

As I typed that last sentence I thought to myself, "Man, people must think I'm a schizophrenic maniac from all the ups and downs he runs through on this blog." While I don't think I'm any crazier than your average Octomom I do think that I spend an inordinate amount of time riding the emotional roller coaster in the amusement park that is my brain.

I have always been one of those people who feel that no matter what job, project or crossword puzzle I have just finished I could have done it better, faster, cleaner. I look back on something, like a print ad or a piece of art that I have produced and wonder, "Couldn't I have done that a little better?", knowing full well that the answer is yes.

Why? Well, I'm sure that there is some deep seeded psychobabble answer (most likely having to do with insecurity,penis size and a set of Rock'em Sock'em robots I had when I was a child) that would scare the bejeezus out of me and you, but why go there? I prefer to think of it as having just completed a job successfully, if I had to do the same exact thing all over again I would definitely be able to do it better. It's called practice.

Practice makes perfect.

It's a simple tenet we learn as children. Practice makes perfect. But have you ever noticed that when we grow up that little phrase lands right in the dumper? It does. We push ourselves to be perfect. We push our kids to be perfect. We push our colleagues to be perfect. We wonder why no one on any road, ever, is as good a driver as we are. Why? Why so much emphasis on achieving that which we know, deep down, really shouldn't be obtainable. What do you gain?

I was watching Bridezillas the other night (Yeah, you read it right--Bridezillas, and no I didn't say I was flipping around and just happened to land on it. I watch it. Other peoples train wrecks are funny to me) and I couldn't help but laugh at how much people seem to think other people care about their weddings and that everything must be perfect or disaster will follow. Any little misstep and these people go crazy ranting and raving about how everything is ruined and their lives are over.

It reminds me of advertising, an industry where people work themselves to death, give up family and friends, stay up late night after nght wracking their brains as they strive to perfect work that, admittedly, the entire population of the world, spends every waking moment trying to avoid.

It's funny until you realize you've been doing it for over 20 years.

That said, I've got to go reexamine my life now. Maybe I'll check ebay for a set of Rock'em Sock'em robots.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts