Eek, while I was making a blueberry compote for tomorrow night's dessert I couldn't think of one thing to blog about. (Those of you that actually know me will not find the previous sentence odd. Those of you who have never been to my house for dinner will have to bear with me and hope for an invitation at some point in the future.)

It reminded me of the time I saw a mouse in my apartment and actually yelled, "Eek" as I hopped onto the coffee table. Bad days do happen. Thank Ikea and wood glue that table was strong enough.

But today is not a bad day, my friends. I am halfway through the Barbarians Project and have people coming over for dinner tomorrow night. Life is good and I aim to keep it that way, at least for the weekend.

I got to thinking earlier, as I am wont to do, and decided that arguing with people who don't have all their facts is a waste of time. Of course, I never like to have all my facts so finding someone to argue with could prove harder than my original estimation. I will say that I believe you still should be allowed to goad others into arguing for the spectacle of it. At least that's what I think FaceBook is for, isn't it?

How was your day? Me? Mine was okay. A little rainy, had a lot to do, but all in all I came out the other end feeling good.

Back to the compote. The wife found a great recipe for an ice cream cookie type of thing and we're trying it out on friends tomorrow. I have a few other things to make before tomorrow evening, but wanted to discuss baked beans, one of our other dishes. (Remember the segues in this blog can be hard to follow. Sit back and relax.)

We found an old recipe for baked beans and decided it would be fun to make. We hadn't made it in years and neither one of us could suss out the actual directions from what we wrote down years ago.

First pass, not so good. Too soggy and not as flavorful as one might have hoped. So we went at it again, drained off some of the liquid, added more spices and molasses (not sure how to clarify molasses, it could be a spice, but what do I know) baked the sucker for another hour and you know what? It's pretty good. I might still add more mustard, but that could be done at the table.

What I'm trying to say here is that whatever it is you're cooking, be it actually food or maybe a new business scheme or even a romantic evening with your partner, if you think it's going badly, take a step back, refocus and get back in there. You'd be surprised at what you can do after you think you've tried everything.

It's a theory I may refer to as the "Twice baked potato theory", or if I was from further south maybe the "Refried bean Theory". Either way, what I;'m trying to say is they both taste good.

Now it's time to focus on getting a beer and trying to figure out 50 more figure drawings. Does the work ever cease?

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts