I was thinking earlier tonight about genius. Not any genius specifically, but in the general.

This has nothing to do with tonight's picture, but I wanted to get it out there.





I was reading about Frank Frazetta. In my opinion one of the greatest illustrators of the 20th century. I was reading about how he trained with and worked with different artists, Michele Falanga, John Giunta, Roy Krenkel and others that I believe helped him add to his inherent talent.

It got me thinking about other artists and other geniuses. Van Gogh spent a lot of time with Gaugin. The Impressionists were concentrated in Paris. Michaelangelo competed with Raphael and DaVinci. Einstein spent a lot of time with the greatest physicists of the early twentieth century and they all created works of genius.

What struck me was that all of these people, and more I could name, considered geniuses in their respective areas, all worked with or near each other and I wonder did that contribute to making them each greater in their own right?

My theory, if you could call it that, is that you can achieve greatness on your own (I'm not blind to people who have toiled alone), but that when you surround yourself with greatness you can and will achieve it faster and it will last longer.

I want you to think about this and apply it to your own life. Do you spend time with people who are doing amazing things and allow them to challenge and help you achieve something greater? Or are you hanging around people who are on the same, or even a lower, level than you and you are not living up to your potential because you have no one to play your greatest ideas off of? No need to change your world, but a reason to examine it.

This topic strikes me as something that will keep me up for a few nights and since I've had a few beers I'm going to go to bed and contemplate this thought while I sleep.

But, before I go, I will repeat one of the greatest lines in movie history because I saw it earlier today and because I have always loved the sentiment and think it applies to our lives in a big way. Today's topic, we'll get back to tomorrow.

From Bladerunner, Roy Batty talking to William Deckard before he dies, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched seabeams glitter in the dark at Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain."

Whew, what a great film.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts