Heads will roll

It's Friday! Yea, time to cut off some heads.

I was sketching all morning trying to create a comfortable looking executioner. One must be happy in ones job mustn't one?

Okay, okay, I'm not into cutting off people's heads. Maybe just torturing some insurance and healthcare people for their outrageous costs, but that's another story. Today we should talk about art and design or something important like that.

Let's start with art. I went to the new Modern Art Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago recently and the art was fantastic. and the view of Millenium Park is great. If you come to Chicago you should definitely go. They did a nice job of bringing the outdoors into the space, and the art collection itself was extensive and impressive. I will say I wasn't that happy with the layout of the floors in and of themselves. Sure there's a bunch of rooms, but in my opinion there was a disconnected feeling to the exhibits within the building.

Funny story, we left the museum with our friends Tim and David and went for a drink. As we discussed the exhibit my wife, Beth, and Tim agreed that the most disturbing piece was a portrait by Lucian Freud. It's a fully nude man laying on a bed with a dog. They agreed that male genitalia is not pretty, especially when painted by Freud. He has a very...rough style. The funny part is I had to confess it was my favorite piece.

Beauty is in the eye I suppose.

People say art is subjective and I do agree, but I'll go one step further and add that isn't life itself subjective? Doesn't everyone have their own view that doesn't necessarily match up with anyone else on the planet?

My wife and I were discussing that this morning in regards to a dinner get together we're having at our house tonight. I'm not going to call it a dinner party because it's very casual. It's more like a dinner happening, with five good friends. But I digress...

(Please plant tongue firmly in cheek before continuing. Thank you, the Management.)

We were discussing the fact that I do everything incorrectly because she wouldn't do it that way. I calmly explained that it was she that was in incorrect because I would never do whatever it is her way. She's right-handed, I'm left-handed, she calls first, I just go places, she uses the library, I watch way too much TV. You get my point. We're all different no matter how much we think we think the same we probably don't. We think different. We act different. And that's okay.

It's actually kind of fun. When Beth and I first moved in together we each had over 200 CD's (I can still say CD's right? If you feel you must please replace CD with MP3) in our respective collections. 7, that's right 7 crossed over. It's all part of being an individual. As I say it's all subjective.

So the next time you think everyone thinks the way you think ask the closest person to you what they think. You might be surprised, and you should be happy about that, by the answer.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts