I talked a couple of weeks ago about going to the zoo just to draw animals. Let me say they never pose the way you need them to. Tonight I just drew the cat from memory. Not sure if he looks too much like a kitty, but I had fun.




Animals are tough. Unlike models they never stand in place. I have so many sketches of parts of animals that it looks like I'm drawing a veterinarian guide book. I usually supplement with photos, but there is something about being in front of an animal that makes it more exciting. When you see how large a tiger paws are or how a rhino actually moves it can take your breath away.

We have a zoo down the street from our house called the Lincoln Park Zoo. It's small and not all that impressive, but it has animals, hence the "zoo" title. They also have a neat little part just outside where you can walk around this secluded lagoon. Very Frank Lloyd Wright in it's prairie design and very peaceful. A good place to reflect upon the problems of the world I suppose. I walked through real quick, no time to stop and smell the prairie grass, I guess.

Have to actually do some real oil painting this week. I have a small show in October and if I don't finish at least one painting I'm afraid it will look bad. I have a "flying David's" on the canvas that stands about eight feet high and two feet wide. It's a fun piece of naked men falling and flying all over the place. I'll post a pic of it here when I'm finished. They're not necessarily barbarians, as a matter of fact I think of them as happy little gentlemen just floating about, but I think they'll fit in.

Enough rambling. Go to bed.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts