Incoming!


"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change."

I have been reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and came across that little gem. What a cool, and oh so true, line.

People have trouble adjusting to great change. I know I do. I'm not one to be too flustered if there are no eggs in the refrigerator on Sunday morning, but when great change happens, such as losing one's job or the ending of a relationship, I know I have a little trouble righting my boat. It's natural. It can also be a great impetus to change even further. To push your life in a completely different direction.

A friend's mother used to say, "Everything happens for the best." As your wedding is being rained on, you lose your job or someone close to you passes away unexpectedly you may not believe this, but I have come to find that it's pretty true. I know I've lost jobs and always gotten better ones. It rained on my wedding day and I'm still married (13 1/2 years). I've had friends pass, and it forced me to reevaluate what I'm doing and how I affect those around me, which I choose to see as a good result.

Moving on, if you get a chance and want to see some very sweet looking pen and ink drawings pick up a copy of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein. He added some sweet illustrations to accompany Mary Shelley's text. It's beautiful.

Today I was drawing and thinking about a new promotional piece for myself. I've already got the blog and the website, but the self-promotion never ends when you're a freelancer. I've already done some drawn pieces and I'm thinking about photography for this next piece. I just need to come up with something brilliant. I hope tomorrow goes well.

Didn't watch the news tonight so I am not real pissed off. It feels good to take a night off from the madness that is cable. Instead I watched a version of "Inherit the Wind" with Kirk Douglas and Jason Robards. Not as good as the one with Spencer Tracy, but it was nice.

I've got to get to the library, soon. The only problem is there is a police sting set up in front of my local library to stop motorists from running over pedestrians. It takes a lot of the fun out of walking over there. I suppose I could drive, but that would be even less fun without the possibility of scaring someone.

Butter.

Okay, today is a real fractured mind sort of day. I have been having trouble keeping my thoughts in check. It gets crazy. One minute I'm talking to the dog, the next I've got the theme song from Barney Miller playing in my head and I am having a heck of a time coming up with a point for today's blog.

(Patiently waiting for thoughts to align.)

(Still waiting.)

Water chestnuts! Love 'em.

(Back to waiting.)

(Whistling.)

Great change happens. Enjoy it. Roll with it and see where the river takes you, just try not to drown along the way. That seems like a pretty good point.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts